Old October 3rd 11, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Paul G Paul G is offline

Default Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke

In message , Recliner
writes
"NM" wrote in message

On Oct 3, 11:02 am, "GT" wrote:

This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Sweetcorn? I hope none of them are fitted with heart
pacemakers. :-)

I think the made-up religious rules are conveniently relaxed for
live-saving medical technology (Jerusalem hospital work seven-days a
week, after all) -- maybe someone should have deemed that pedestrian
crossing buttons come into this category? Of course, some Christian
nutters would rather die than accept a life-saving blood transfusion,
and they inflict this on their children, too.

There are nice exemptions for being able to eat pork and bacon if it is
a "medical emergency". More difficult to engineer than it should be
(engineer being the fail word too - naughty)

That said, hypothetically speaking, if you do fall of the bandwagon, it
does mean that eating pork and bacon becomes more pleasurable than most
Christians/other peoples will ever be able to appreciate eating the same
food (due to the knowledge that one is eating prohibited food).

And, just about, slightly on topic. There's a very good all night
beigel bakery on Brick Lane between Liverpool Street Station and
Shoreditch High Street Station. I recommend their salt beef beigels.
The shop is not certified kosher, so that reduces the potential cost by
50%.

--
Paul G
Typing from Kentish Town