Old October 8th 11, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry[_2_] Paul Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Longer trains for Waterloo-Reading, Waterloo-Windsor lines

In message
,
JohnLon writes

I notice work is going on at some stations along these routes to
extend the platforms (ie at Whitton, Twickenham, Richmond) and was
informed by platform staff that it is to enable 10 car trains to be
used in place of the current 8 car units. I wonder when these will be
introduced

The original plan was December 2010, but that has now slipped to
December 2012 for completion of platform lengthening. I'm not sure if
any final decision has yet been taken about rolling stock, so there's no
guarantee that 10 car trains will actually be operating by January 2013.

and how will stations like Feltham be extended as there is a level
crossing at one end and a road bridge crossing over the other end.

The fate of Feltham was left open for future discussion in the NR
strategic development plan of last year. Closure of the level crossing
is one solution being considered, but I think it's more likely that
they'll fall back on the cheaper alternative of using selective door
opening at Feltham.
--
Paul Terry