Old October 8th 11, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Denis McMahon[_4_] Denis McMahon[_4_] is offline

Default Longer trains for Waterloo-Reading, Waterloo-Windsor lines

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 09:30:50 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

[10 car trains at Feltham]

The fate of Feltham was left open for future discussion in the NR
strategic development plan of last year. Closure of the level crossing
is one solution being considered, but I think it's more likely that
they'll fall back on the cheaper alternative of using selective door
opening at Feltham.

For the up line, will they place the 10 car stopping point beyond the end
of the up platform, and enable doors on the rear 8 cars, or will they
stop the train foul of the crossing and open the front 8?

Neither seems an ideal solution, at least on the down they can do the
normal and enable doors on the front 8 cars without fouling the crossing.

Looking at google maps, I think that you might just be able to fit 9 cars
in between the crossing and the stopping point on the up, given a
stopping point that places the front passenger doors on the platform
before the road bridge, but you're not going to fit 10 in without fouling
the crossing or having the cab past the end of the platform.

A panoramio pic shows that the up platform ends at the overbridge anyway,
and although there is space between the bridge and the line, there would
be reduced headroom for passengers under the bridge if the platforms were
extended, as well as passengers having to move track side of the safety
line to pass under the bridge. Presumably extending the platforms in the
up direction would entail placing the arch span of the overbridge that
crosses the line with concrete or steel beams supporting the roadway,
which would I guess entail a significant possession of both the line and
roadway.

Rgds

Denis McMahon