Old October 10th 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jamie Thompson Jamie Thompson is offline

Default London Overground Expansion

On Oct 10, 10:04*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
It is known that connections can't be made at Moorgate without spending 100s
of millions though - the alterations to have a junction east of the
platforms involve adjacent building foundations - and there is basically no
way a business case would ever stand up.

I know...but it's still unfortunate. Interestingly, these foundations
don't seem to be a problem for Crossrail...

It's such a shame...as once you get past those foundations you have a
clear run for four tracks across Finsbury Circus to Liverpool St. East
of there...well. I don't think you'll even be able to widen the former
bay for an extra platform, let alone have a junction east of
there...but I guess if you could redevelop the building sitting over
where that needs to happen it could...

By the time the SSR resignalling is complete in 2018, it is not intended to
have any Mansion House terminators, and the bay platform there is to be
taken over by the through route. * However there is a plan to make Tower
Hill's central platform accessible from both directions...

Quite. However, rather than projecting Mansion House's centre bay to
the eastbound line and severing the western connection to the
westbound, how about projecting it to the westbound and retaining
it's western layout (turning it into a westbound loop). Knock through
the disused northern bay and connect it at both ends to the eastbound
line, and hey presto, you have a pair of island platforms where
services can be reformed. Having a shared bidirectional centre loop is
easier and cheaper...but not as flexible by a long shot.

....I suspect a shared centre road is the plan at Tower Hill, but
likewise, I think a pair of loops (a-la the old Whitechapel - I really
wish they'd found a solution that kept the centre roads) would be
*much* more useful.