Old October 11th 11, 02:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default "Heathrow and Gatwick airports: Ministers mull rail link" (twixt the two)

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:58:47 on
Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Bruce remarked:
What they can't do is *start building* until 2019. I originally thought
they couldn't apply for planning permission until 2019, but it's not
even that.

That is what I thought too. I researched it in some detail in the
1990s as I lived in an area of Sussex that already had quite a lot of
aircraft noise and would have had more if the changes had gone ahead.

My information is from 2005, so post-dates your research. Maybe 2019 was
redefined, but it's currently the limit on building work, not planning.

Thanks. I left the area in 1998 and haven't kept in close touch with
what's happening, so I accept that a lot may have changed since then.

At that time, the scheme that had previously been proposed for the
second runway had a separation from the existing runway of nowhere
near 1.0 km, so it is obvious that there has been at least one
significant change.

The previous proposal kept to a minimum the amount of demolition that
would be needed. I think it was limited to part or all of one
industrial estate. I would imagine that a 1.0 km separation would
involve much more demolition as the new runway would be significantly
closer to Crawley. The noise nuisance would also be worse.

If you have a link to anything that explains the 2005 proposals I
would be interested.