Old October 18th 11, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roy Stilling[_2_] Roy Stilling[_2_] is offline

Default Victoria Tube station escalator works finished

On Oct 18, 4:11*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Phil Cook wrote on 18 October 2011
18:54:07 ...

On 18/10/2011 17:50, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/10/2011 17:11, Mizter T wrote:
TfL - "Victoria Tube station escalator work completed three months early"
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/21319.aspx

The overall works are far from finished though - the redevelopment of
the Tube station is due for completion in 2018.

The above press release includes this tidbit:
"The three escalators which run down to the Victoria line platforms and
which include the second most-used escalator in the world with 21
million customers hopping on each year, were out of service one at a
time, in sequence, while they were being worked on."

Obvious question - what's the most used escalator in the world then?

Presumably one of the other two while the second-most was out of commission.

I've seen links to the Grand Central Terminal being the busiest.

The reference I saw to Grand Central was to the busiest *group of*
escalators. *It claimed it was verified by the Guinness Book of Records,
but a search on their website failed to find it.

Presumably that means the escalators up from the GCT concourse into
the Met Life (formerly PanAm) building, from which pax can exit to
45th St. They are busy, but they're not the only exit from GCT by any
means so I'd be a bit doubtful they're the busiest in the world.
--
Roy