Old October 28th 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default "Airtrack-Lite" link to Heathrow proposed by Wandsworth Council

"Bruce" wrote:

Posted without comment:

Wandsworth reveals Waterloo-Heathrow direct rail plans

Wandsworth Council has today unveiled plans for a new direct rail
service from south London to Heathrow airport.
[...]
A map of the proposed route is available on the council's website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xjzzoa

I'll leave it to others to question (/ demolish!) this particular proposal
(/ bit of blue sky thinking), but with regards to the underlying issue - the
lack of rail connectivity from Heathrow to the south really is a significant
missing piece in terms of public transport access to the airport. I'm sure
it'd result in fewer people getting to and from the airport by car/cab, with
the knock-on benefits in terms of a reduction in road traffic that'd bring
(indeed I'm sure there's some Airtrack related study or two to this end out
there somewhere... but I haven't looked for it, let alone read it!).

Yes, there is the 'back door' way in to LHR from Feltham station via the
bus, but it's really not quite the same thing as a proper rail link.

(I can't see why we couldn't just close a hospital on Teesside to pay for
it...)