Old October 28th 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default "Airtrack-Lite" link to Heathrow proposed by Wandsworth Council

"Stuart Moore" wrote in message

On Oct 28, 2:54 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
Posted without comment:

Wandsworth reveals Waterloo-Heathrow direct rail plans

Wandsworth Council has today unveiled plans for a new direct rail
service from south London to Heathrow airport.
[...]
A map of the proposed route is available on the council's website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xjzzoa

I'll leave it to others to question (/ demolish!) this particular
proposal (/ bit of blue sky thinking), but with regards to the
underlying issue - the lack of rail connectivity from Heathrow to
the south really is a significant missing piece in terms of public
transport access to the airport. I'm sure it'd result in fewer
people getting to and from the airport by car/cab, with the knock-on
benefits in terms of a reduction in road traffic that'd bring
(indeed I'm sure there's some Airtrack related study or two to this
end out there somewhere... but I haven't looked for it, let alone
read it!).

I guess if this proposal went ahead, once the tunnels are there,
there's the option for other routes to link in.

Would the plan give a through route up to the Heathrow express
tunnels? That'd give extra options for joined up transport links.

No, I don't think so. The two sets of lines and platforms are separate,
and parallel to each other (the Airtrack tunnels are south of the HEx
tunnels). Even if there is a connection, it's not meant to be used by
service trains. In any case, the services will be more reliable if kept
separate.