Old November 3rd 11, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Nick Finnigan Nick Finnigan is offline

Default New signage paradigm

On 03/11/2011 18:44, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:45:57
on Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Nick Finnigan remarked:
You could argue that you're not forced to use the lanes for any given
direction. So long as a leftwards arrow is lit and you drive with
appropriate care, you can turn left from any lane.

Even if that means passing a red light (because the middle lane in
question
isn't yet showing a "straight ahead" green arrow)?

Yes, provided the lanes are just white lines, not kerbs.

The one I'm thinking of has a small traffic island, but you could turn left
past it; in other words you are saying the silver hatchback here could
immediately turn left (despite being in the wrong lane and facing a red
light): http://tinyurl.com/6kkff8b

No, because there are separate stop lines for the two sets of lights.

Does it require a physical barrier like the traffic island to create
*separate* stop lines - or could paint achieve it as well?

Dunno, I'd need to see an example.

I'm thinking of junctions like Cross Street (A56) and Dane Road in Sale.
4 1/2 lanes, markings for left, ahead, ahead, right but only one stop line
(+two 'advance' stop lines), no kerbs / separate slip roads. However, two
complete sets of lights to allow turning on a filter, from any lane.