Old February 13th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Haines John Haines is offline

Default Jubilee Line

In article , Nigel
Callaghan wrote:

What did worry me a little, was a largish barge moored on the
downstream side of Westminster Bridge, close to its central arch
They were driving in some large steel tubes using a pile-driver. I
began to wonder just how far away from the tunnel they might be and
how deep it lies under the river bed.

Anyone know what this is all about? I did note Westminister Bridge
seems to be undergoing either a good clean-up, or some maintenance
work is taking place. I would like to know what is ocurring in the
river.

The scour protection around two of the bridge piers is being repaired.
That's the concrete surround to the timber piles the bridge is built
on. Its eroded over the years.

Piles can only be driven within 30m of the underground tunnel at night
time when no trains are running. I forget how deep it is, not very.
That's why "Crisis Command" should have realised there might be a
problem far earlier than they did.

John Haines