Old November 6th 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default New signage paradigm

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
The one I'm thinking of has a small traffic island, but you could turn
left past it; in other words you are saying the silver hatchback here
could immediately turn left (despite being in the wrong lane and facing a
red light): http://tinyurl.com/6kkff8b

It's facing a red light with a green arrow (well, if it wasn't forward of
the line it would be). So I think it's legal.

If you back up on the street view it's clear that the intention is to have
one lane each for left turn, straight on and right turn.

On the continent they do things better because the red (and possibly amber)
lights are arrows as well, so it's very clear which light is controlling
each traffic flow.

My favourite example of this stupidity is this junction:

http://g.co/maps/ecedu

There is a large sign saying RIGHT TURNS GO FIRST, but you still see people
in lanes 1 and 2 taking off when the light for lane 3 changes.

--
DAS