Old November 15th 11, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Bank Station, London enlargement

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\11\14 23:50, Martin Rich wrote:

"The Gardener" wrote in message

It would be great if the Northern City could be extended south to
Bank, or further.

Sadly, that's very unlikely as it's not that deep a line at Moorgate,
and there are building foundations in the way. In any case, without
platform lengthening, it probably would not be justified.

If I remember rightly, it's not just any building foundations, but the
the Bank of England's vaults, that would thwart this particular extension.

I think you're thinking of the Waterloo & City Line. The Great Northern
is far enough away from Bank that you could avoid any particular
building if you were happy to demolish others.

The GN&C has, or at least had, a safeguarded extension route to Lothbury,
and in 1912 there was a parliamentary bill submitted (by the Metropolitan)
to extend the GN&C to there and link to the W&C, so the vaults can't be
an insuperable obstacle for either line. The link was rejected because
of property objections, true, but if it wasn't feasible then I don't
think the Met would have wasted money on a Bill.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)