Old November 20th 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry[_2_] Paul Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Boost for Tube extension plan as Wandsworth gets triple-A ratings

In message , Basil Jet
writes

On 2011\11\20 10:53, Paul Terry wrote:

I know the Kennington loop only connects with the west end side of the
northern line because back in the 60s and 70s I worked on it, will it
stay in service?

Almost certainly, as the proposed terminus of the extension at Battersea
is only two-track, which would not be sufficient for turning back the
full peak-time service of the CX branch.

Why not? Surely more trains are turned in the two-track terminus at Brixton.

I may have been unduly pessimistic. I've just seen that the Parsons
Brinckerhoff feasibility study into the Northern Line extension
estimates that the Battersea terminus could be capable of turning a
maximum of 28 trains per hour, which I think is the current peak service
on the CX branch (and on the Vic).

However, I doubt that the Kennington loop would be abandoned, as there
won't be the passenger demand for the full service to run to Battersea.
Most people will still want to change at Kennington in order to continue
south towards Clapham and beyond.
--
Paul Terry