Old November 20th 11, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Robin[_4_] Robin[_4_] is offline

Default B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

You are not allowing for the possibilty that a walking stick might be
inserted in the spokes by accident. I would hope a jury might bear in
mind that an elderly chap crossing the road with a walking stick cannot
be expected to ensure it does not go through the wheel of a cyclist
ignoring the pedestrian crossing, red lights, one-way road etc. And
given the averaae age of jurors these days I would also hope that some
would understand the difficulties.

They might also share the view that a cyclist riding at speed through
red lights at a pedestrian is morally more akin to an armed robber than
a shoplifter.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid