Old November 21st 11, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 07:28:09AM -0600, wrote:
In article ,
(Jack
Taylor) wrote:
As a responsible cyclist, who stops at traffic lights, carries lights
and fluorescent clothing and reflectors and respects other users of
the road (and pavements) I share your irritation with the morons who
give us all a bad name.

I agree with that but I wonder why we get all this ire against cyclists when
it is the much larger number of moron motor vehicle drivers who kill
thousands of people every year.

Because moron cyclists are far harder to hold to account for their
actions. It's because of the actions of a few moron motor vehicle
drivers that drivers were required to get licences, register their
vehicles, show number plates, and carry insurance. I think it's only
reasonable that if I have to do that because of moron motor vehicle
drivers (and don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea) then the
majority of law-abiding, safe, polite cyclists should do the same.

It won't be perfect - you'll still get a tiny minority that put cloned
plates on their bikes, and don't bother with insurance, just like some
motor vehicle drivers do - but it will be an improvement.

As for the costs - we already have a system for registering cars,
motorbikes etc so extending that to add one more type of vehicle shouldn't
be expensive; insurance won't be expensive, given that it is already
included in most household contents cover for "free"; manufacture of
registration plates is a one-off cost; I would expect a car or motorcycle
licence to also cover bicycles so there's no cost of licencing for the
vast majority of adults, and if you want a bike-only licence then we
already have a good model for that - the cycling proficiency test that
was so cheap to train for and administer that schools used to do it.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.