Old November 22nd 11, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default A commute from Finsbury Park to Brentford

Hmm.

The prospect of a new job near Syon Lane has come up. I live in Finsbury
Park and won't be moving any time soon.

Any thoughts on what commuting options look like?

I'll mention that the company runs a shuttle bus from Osterley (taking 5
minutes), and a peak-hours shuttle from Gunnersbury (whose timetable i
cannot decipher - possibly goes backwards through time?). Also, that i
like cycling, although not enough to cycle 18 miles twice a day.

Off the top of my head:

Piccadilly from Finsbury Park to Osterley, bus to the office. That's 50-60
minutes on the tube, and 5 on the bus. Standing from Finsbury Park; i
might get a seat at, what, Leicester Square?

Victoria from Finsbury Park to Vauxhall, train to Syon Lane, walk to the
office. That's 20 minutes on the tube, with some hope of a seat past
Oxford Circus, some amount of waiting, then 30 minutes on the train, i
imagine with an excellent chance of a seat.

Victoria (or Great Northern) from Finsbury Park to Highbury & Islington,
North London on to Gunnersbury, bus to the office. That's a short hop on
the tube, then 37 minutes on the overground, then some unknown time on the
bus; no idea if i might get a seat.

Folding bike from Finsbury Park to Gospel Oak, North London to
Gunnersbury, unfolded bike to the office. That's 2.6 miles cycling at one
end, half an hour on the train, then 2.9 miles at the other end (on roads
of uncertain enjoyability). I would at least be guaranteed a seat for 5.5
miles of the journey.

Any other options to consider? Do any of these have unforeseen pitfalls?

I currently work 4.5 miles from home, and cycle. None of these options are
remotely as good .

tom

--
Or is it? It's hard to tell if making a loss in a transformative business
is a bad thing. -- Nutty