Old November 26th 11, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default A commute from Finsbury Park to Brentford

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...

The prospect of a new job near Syon Lane has come up. I live in Finsbury
Park and won't be moving any time soon.

Any thoughts on what commuting options look like?

Why not train to Kings X - no chance of seat (or is there, how many get
off at FP?), cycle to Waterloo and train to Syon Lane?

Oh, good one! Yes, that would probably be very practical. It might even be
worth cycling straight to Waterloo.

Unless the move is not voluntary (and I apologise for preaching to the
converted here) makes sure (1) your extra commuting cost is covered by
any change in salary (unless this is a step up with expectations of
later salary improvement)

Good point. I don't have a number from them yet, but i would be surprised
if there was not a big enough step up to cover the extra cost.

(2) that you can deal with the extra time out of your day - I went from
a 10 minute walk to a 15 minute walk/15 minute train/2 minute walk and
even that was a nuisance.

This is the real sticking point. At the moment, between, sleep, work,
commuting, and basic functions like shopping and washing, i reckon i have
about four hours per weekday to actually enjoy myself. Commuting for an
extra half-hour each way would reduce that by 25%.

tom

--
If god did exist, we would have to abolish him. -- Mikhail Bakunin