Old February 14th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Redonda Redonda is offline

Default Bus driver training?

Do bus drivers get *any* sort of training in how to deal with the public?
This is an article from this week's East London Advertiser:

BUS ATTITUDE NOT QUITE THE TICKET.

Bus drivers are ignoring a wheelchair-bound East Ender and refusing to lower
ramps which allow him to get on board.

Pensioner John Clarke, 65, who lives on Mile End Road had his leg amputated
in June 2003. He said: "I don't like going out any more," adding that:
"Taxis are more sympathetic, but they're so expensive".

Mr Clarke, a diabetic, protested to Bethnal Green and Bow MP Oona King - a
move which won him an apology from London Buses.

MP Oona said: "It's important that we encourage disabled pensioners like Mr
Clarke to retain their independence. Drivers must be properly trained and
supported in using ramps."

All the bus routes Mr Clarke complained about have 'easy access' low floors,
specially designed for wheelchair users, and are fitted with ramps that can
be lowered when necessary, London Buses admitted this week.

They are now consulting with bus operators on the routes he travels.
/Endquote
--

---