Old December 2nd 11, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott[_3_] Paul Scott[_3_] is offline

Default TfL Fares Increase - January 2nd 2012

"Paul" wrote in message

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

Just two years. The 50p differential was there to reflect the fact that a
daily cap on PAYG was not as useful as a day travelcard, because before
then the majority of TOC services did not accept PAYG. The differential was
removed from the date PAYG was extended to all National Rail within the
zones, so that 50p increase wasn't really back door, because you get more
coverage for your money...

Explained in the Mayoral Fares decision letter in the run up to the Jan 2010
changes:

"PAYG will be extended to include National Rail (NR) services within London
from 2 January 2010 and a number of changes to fares and charges will be
made to reflect this. These changes affect the One Day PAYG Caps which will
increase to match Travelcard prices..."

Paul S