Old December 3rd 11, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default TfL Fares Increase - January 2nd 2012

On Dec 2, 2:32*pm, Paul wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...2_11_fares.pdf

gives the new Tfl fares following this weeks announcement that the
level of the increase is to be cut back to "around" 6%.

An interesting development in and of itself, given that central
government doesn't have a formal role in London fares policy. Bearing
in mind the Mayoral election next year, as someone said in the
Standard this was perhaps a case of the Chancellor saving Boris from
himself (the Mayor having been adamant that he was sticking to the
trajectory vis-a-vis 'responsible' fare rises that he set himself on a
few years back).

Notice that the Oyster PAYG bus fare is now £1.35. I suppose that it
doesn't matter if they have a fare which is not a multiple of 10p if
people don't have to fiddle about with loose change.

Though Tube ticket machines stopped accepting 5 pence pieces some time
ago - however pretty sure all National Rail machines that 'do' Oyster
do take 5p pieces.

Also I note that the Oyster PAYG cap is equivalent to the appropriate
Day Travelcard price. *I know that this has been the case for a few
years now, but remember when it was 50p LESS than the travelcard
price. Another back door fares increase methinks.

As others have said, this 50p differential disappeared in Jan 2010
when Oyster PAYG went live across the whole of the National Rail
network in London (logic being that it became equivalent to a Day
Travelcard).