Old December 6th 11, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default TfL Fares Increase - January 2nd 2012

"David Cantrell" wrote:

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 10:24:23AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 08:37:06 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:
Something which you don't have to do with a paper ticket.

Then buy one. They are still available.

Not according to the ticket office at White City they're not.

Was this what they actually said to you? If so they were wrong - if we're
talking about Day Travelcards, that is - Day Travelcards are (or should be)
sold from any open Tube station ticket office, and they're also available
from all Tube ticket machines.

(It's different for *season* Travelcards though - Tube station ticket
offices / self-service ticket machines and 'Oyster Ticket Stops' i.e. shops
have only sold season Travelcards on Oyster for a number of years now -
though they're still available in printed form from NR ticket offices.)

For confirmation of this see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14433.aspx
---quote---
Tube stations

* Get and top up Oyster cards
* Buy Travelcard season tickets
* Buy paper tickets for single and return journeys and Day Travelcards

Ticket machines: Top up your Oyster card with any amount of credit, add
season tickets or buy paper tickets.

Ticket offices: Check our interactive journey map for ticket office opening
times at each station. Ticket offices will top-up Oyster cards if you're
putting on at least £5.
---/quote---

Also, this PDF (linked to from the above page) shows different ticket types
and where you can buy them from - on page 2 it explicitly states that Day
Travelcards are available from Tube ticket offices:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/where-can-i-buy-my-ticket-january-2011.pdf

If a Tube ticket office refused to sell you one then that's obvious grounds
for a complaint. (I did have a clerk at a Tube ticket office get difficult
about selling me a railcard-discounted Day Travelcard when I presented my
Network Railcard - they were convinced that it should come with an
accompanying photocard, a la the 16-25/ Y-P Railcard - they did sell me one
after my exasperated look made clear that I wasn't going to leave without
one.)