Old December 9th 11, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Paul is offline

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

On Dec 9, 11:02*am, David Cantrell wrote:
I'm reading the new Sherlock Holmes story "The House of Silk" by Anthony
Horowitz, and I'm very much afraid that he hasn't done his homework
properly. *He mentions a train service from Wimbledon to London Bridge
in November 1890. *I very much doubt that such a service existed, am I
right? *I'd like to check my facts before mentioning it in my book
review!

Certainly there is no such service now, and while the route was
*possible* (Wimbledon to Clapham Junction then onto the inner South
London Line and thence to London Bridge via Peckham Rye) I can't see
why it would exist, given that Wimbledon to Waterloo is so much shorter
and quicker, and Waterloo is so close to London Bridge anyway.

Does anyone have a Bradshaw and can check for me?

--
David Cantrell |http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity
* * -- Hanlon's Razor

Stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice
* * -- Richard Bos's corollary

There is a service from Wimbledon to London Bridge, at least at
weekends.

The FCC service via the Sutton loop goes from Wimbledon to Haydons
Road, Tooting, Streatham, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill and thence to London
Bridge.