Old December 9th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian F. Ian F. is offline

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...

I'm reading the new Sherlock Holmes story "The House of Silk" by Anthony
Horowitz, and I'm very much afraid that he hasn't done his homework
properly. He mentions a train service from Wimbledon to London Bridge
in November 1890. I very much doubt that such a service existed, am I
right? I'd like to check my facts before mentioning it in my book
review!

National newspaper reviews of the book have been excellent, including The
Guardian, which said "So, all of the elements are the the data, the data,
the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like
Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a
Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid
deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical
basis" that we yearn for? Emphatically, yes."

Not sure in which publication(s) your review will appear, David, but I
share, in the context of the entire novel, the nationals' lack of concern
for the minutiae of 1890s rail travel!

Ian