Old December 9th 11, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter Masson[_2_] Peter Masson[_2_] is offline

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

"Charlie Hulme" wrote in message
On 09/12/2011 12:17, Mizter T wrote:
[Cross-posted to uk.railway, where answers may lie...]

"David Cantrell" wrote:
I'm reading the new Sherlock Holmes story "The House of Silk"
by Anthony
Horowitz, and I'm very much afraid that he hasn't done his
homework
properly. He mentions a train service from Wimbledon to London
Bridge
in November 1890. I very much doubt that such a service
existed, am I
right? I'd like to check my facts before mentioning it in my book
review!

I don't know about 1890, but in the 1960s when I lived in Wimbledon there
certainly was a service to Holborn Viaduct which called at London Bridge
and Blackfriars - this was before the 'Thameslink' service was developed,
of course.

I doubt it. After the July 1967 SR timetable revision there certainly was a
service that connected Wimbledon with London Bridge, Blackfriars and Holborn
Viaduct, but the routing was London Bridge - Forest Hill - West Croydon -
Sutton - Wimbledon - Tooting - Tulse Hill - Herne Hill - Blackfriars -
Holborn Viaduct. This would not have been possible in 1890, as the
Wimbledon - Sutton line didn't open until 1930. Before Thameslink there were
very few passenger trains which used the spur from London Bridge to
Blackfriars, typically in the 1960s only the 0417 Orpington to Holborn
Viaduct, the 0100 Holborn Viaduct to Orpington, and at one time the 0255
Holborn Viaduct to Ramsgate Passenger and News.

However, as to the OP's question, the answer is quite possibly. In 1904
there was a 6.15 pm from London Bridge to Wimbledon via Peckham Rye, Tulse
Hill and Tooting. The lione from Streatham Junction to Wimbledon (both the
current route via Haydons Road and the abandoned route via Merton Abbey) was
the joint property of the LBSCR and LSWR.

Peter