Old December 9th 11, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Pat O'Neill Pat O'Neill is offline

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

"Charlie Hulme" wrote in message
On 09/12/2011 16:18, Peter Masson wrote:

[I said]

I don't know about 1890, but in the 1960s when I lived in
Wimbledon there certainly was a service to Holborn Viaduct
which called at London Bridge and Blackfriars - this was before
the 'Thameslink' service was developed, of course.

I doubt it.
After the July 1967 SR timetable revision there
certainly was a service that connected Wimbledon with London
Bridge, Blackfriars and Holborn Viaduct, but the routing was
London Bridge - Forest Hill - West Croydon - Sutton - Wimbledon -
Tooting - Tulse Hill - Herne Hill - Blackfriars - Holborn
Viaduct. This would not have been possible in 1890, as the
Wimbledon - Sutton line didn't open until 1930.

So one could travel direct from London Bridge but not to it? I'm not clear
what you're doubting, although I'm sure you are right as I'm working from
distant memory. You are of course right about the Wimbledon - Sutton line
being of late date.

I arrived in Wimbledon in September 1967, I didn't realise that I was
seeing a new service pattern, although I did discover I'd missed the last
steam trains by just a few months.

Charlie

Charlie

I'm sure I worked London Bridge to London Bridge via Tulse Hill, Wimbledon,
Sutton and Forest Hill in 1980, seems a long time ago now.