Old December 9th 11, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Jonathan Morton[_3_] Jonathan Morton[_3_] is offline

Default Wimbledon to London Bridge?

"Pat O'Neill" wrote in message

I'm sure I worked London Bridge to London Bridge via Tulse Hill,
Wimbledon, Sutton and Forest Hill in 1980, seems a long time ago now.

I'm sure that's right, but I'm not sure about the Forest Hill bit. I lived
in Tooting from 1980 to 1982. The standard off-peak service was London
Bridge-Peckham Rye-Tulse Hill-Streatham-Tooting-Wimbledon-Sutton-Mitcham
Junction-Streatham, then London Bridge via Peckham Rye again. In practice
they were advertised to Sutton IIRC. Stock was 4-SUB.

However, in the peaks they dived off down the 1 in 66 from Tulse Hill to
Herne Hill for Blackfriars and Holborn Viaduct. Herne Hill was always
entertaining because you had to cross the Boat Train Route on the level,
which meant fancy footwork by the signaller. With luck you'd get a 12-car +
MLV coming through. Those MLVs always seemed to pack quite a punch.

Regards

Jonathan