Old December 10th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Paul is offline

Default Tfl Christmas Travel Information

On Dec 10, 10:06*am, wrote:
In article
,

(Paul) wrote:
I still think there is a case for running a bus service on Christmas Day.

If there was a special service on all the night bus and 24 hour
routes, running from about 9am on Christmas Day, that would give
reasonable coverage to most areas.

The lack of public transport on Christmas Day is a real pain to those
who don't have a car.

Edinburgh has a skeleton service on Christmas Day, so I don't see why
it wouldn't work in London. Perhaps someone could sponsor free travel,
like they do on New Years Eve.

The question is whether Edinburgh has any service on New Year's Day. That is
the bigger holiday North of the border.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Edinburgh does have a service on New Years Day

See

http://www.lothianbuses.com/images/s...s/XMAS2011.pdf

for details.

It includes, for example, a service to the Royal Infirmary, so that
people can visit someone in hospital.

I do think a similar level of service could be provided in London. I
have a copy of the leaflet "Buses Running in London on December 25th
2001", which was the last year there was any significant level of
service on Christmas Day.

It included service 729 from Wood Green to Streatham via day routes 29
and 159, service 712 from Peckham to Hammersmith via day route 12, and
service 755 from Central London to Wimbledon and Morden.

All routes ran every 30 minutes from about 9am to 8pm. No travelcards
were accepted, and there was a premium fare of £3.

I do think there is a case for doing something similar now.