Old December 14th 11, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Rail Link plan approved by Government

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:13:47 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message

And here is the DfT announcement:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press20111214

Relevant bullet point:
---quote---
Croxley Rail Link (Watford). Extension of the Metropolitan line from
Croxley to Watford Junction mainline station plus two new stations (inc
closure of current Watford Met line station). (£76.2m DfT contribution
towards a total cost of £115.9m).
---/quote---

So - despite all the handwringing when these 45 projects were supposedly
put on the back burner by the current lot, 45 of 45 have eventually been
approved, after various cost estimates have been whittled down. Is there
a positive story here after all?

There probably is good news but many of these schemes still require
local funding and I wonder if that money can actually be found. Can
HCC find £40m for the Croxley Link? It's good it has got approval
and a large wodge of money but given overall spending pressures on
local authorities I remain a bit dubious.

It is also worth noting that 4 schemes were not approved - one being
the Leeds Trolleybus scheme and another being a bus based scheme in
South Essex. They have one more chance to get their numbers right /
convince the DfT but I expect Metro (in West Yorks) are pretty fed up
today. How many times do they have to try to get some sort of decent
public transport investment in that part of the country?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-16182932

"I am mystified as to why the DfT now wants to delay the project another
five months, particularly when every month lost means inflation and other
factors add £1m to the overall cost of the scheme."

I don't know why he is mystified and going on about delay. The DfT press
release makes their reason for the delay clear enough:

"Leeds New Generation Transport. The Department has not yet been provided
with sufficient evidence with which to assess the value for money of this
scheme, as some of the data is relatively new and cannot yet be verified.
However, the Department recognises that a strong strategic case has been
made and so has given the promoters until 31 March 2012 to update their
business case. A decision will be made within two months of that."

The Leeds & West Yorks ITA councillor at a meeting I was at today was indeed
pretty fed up.

--
Colin Rosenstiel