Old December 19th 11, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default New boris bus breaks down

wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:37:34 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
According to the Autocar review of the bus, the 4-cylinder diesel
generator has a max power of only 182bhp (which is less than my car),
which is used not only to charge the battery, but also to power the
air compressor for the brakes and steering. The battery is rated at
75kWh.

Its quite enough to move a double decker on the relatively shallow
inclines of a motorway even accounting for losses in converting to
electical power. Most buses arn't rated at much more than that
anyway. If it can't cope with steady running on a motorway with loads
of nice cold air to keep it cool
god knows how it'll manage in 30C in summer slowly cooking in a
london traffic jam.

You're assuming that it overheated, rather than my guess that the
battery was running low. I presume that they run the engine for optimum
economy, rather than for max power.