Old December 20th 11, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default New boris bus breaks down

In message , at 09:40:48 on Tue, 20 Dec
2011, d remarked:
I suspect like most hybrids the battery on its own can't power the vehicle for
more than a few miles so I can't believe that the system can't power the
vehicle on the generator alone. I suspect a fault.

It seems it's the other way round. The generator isn't capable of
powering the bus if the bus is motoring 100% of the time. It's in effect
a generator topping up the battery, which is also receives regen braking
charge. So the battery [alone] is powering the bus, but the whole system
will gradually run out of 'steam' if used too intensively.

These are the compromises required to get the outstanding mpg.