Old December 20th 11, 01:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Modern double deck trams

On 20/12/2011 09:46, amogles wrote:
On 20 Dez., 09:57, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

And, I am aware of the new double deck trams in Hong Kong.

Alexandria also has some double-deck trams. I beleive they are of
Chinese make.

In the past, double deck trams were more common. Paris and Berlin both
had them and no doubt several other cities besides.

I am not sure about the details, but I believe that one factor that
was different in the UK was legislation concerning trailers. I am not
sure whether they were banend outright, or it was something else.
Anyway, although some British trams did have trailers, they were
extremely rare. Where the Germans for example used trailers to grow
capacity, British operators built upwards.

Of course one disadvantage of trailers was that they needed to be
shunted at the at end of trip, and so loop tracks had to be provided.

They use gravity shunting at Ramsey (Rhumsaa) on the Manx Electric
Railway, incidentally, when they run a trailer.