Old December 20th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Modern double deck trams

On Dec 20, 2:00*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
A double deck tram has by nature about

the capacity of a double deck bus, so given the choice the operator
opts for the bus which is more flexible and cheaper.

You're limiting your thinking. * In effect I'm asking why you can't take a
modern multi section single deck tram and build a double deck version.

Articulations and double deck vehicles are generally not compatible.
In all of the variations of double deck railway carriages I have
encountered, none has gangway connections on both levels. The tight
corners and ability to climb hills in an urban setting would make this
problem worse for trams than "big" trains. The other issue is that
modern low floor trams use the roof to mount all kinds of equipment
like power electronics and air conditioners. With a double deck
arrangement, this would have to be accommodated somewhere else
(where?).

Robin