Old December 20th 11, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
George George is offline

Default Farewell To The Bendy Bus

On Dec 10, 10:06*am, wrote:
In article ,

(Walter Briscoe) wrote:
In message
of
Fri, 9 Dec 2011 03:36:03 in uk.transport.london, Paul

[snip]

The article goes on to mention the conflict between wheelchair users
and buggy users who will not fold a buggy and/or move to make space
for a wheelchair user. *This is a problem whatever type of bus you
use, and there is no easy answer.

I suggest that drivers should be required, as now, to ask passengers
with unfolded buggies to fold them. The change I would make is that
drivers should be instructed on a refusal/inability, to issue a transfer
ticket for a following service. The problem is that many buggies are
used to carry a week's shopping as well as a child.

I would have the "Conditions of Carriage" take a tougher line with non-
priority wheelchair space users.

"13.2.3. Wheelchair users have priority over everyone else for use of
the wheelchair space, since this is the only place in which they can
travel safely. If someone in a wheelchair wishes to board, and the
wheelchair space is occupied by standing passengers or buggies, standing
passengers will be asked by the driver to make room if possible, and
buggy users will be asked to fold them and put them in the luggage space
or keep them by their side.

13.2.4. *If you use a wheelchair or buggy, you should be able to board
any low-floor bus unless (in the driver's opinion) it is so crowded that
there is no room for you to travel safely. You will only be refused
entry when it is absolutely necessary, but no-one already travelling
will be asked to get off the bus."

On a practical matter, there seems to be a lack of a design standard for
bus wheelchair spaces. Some are good, but many have poles which cause
difficulty while manoeuvring in and out.

Have you ever tried to take a child on a bus on your own, especially one too
young to walk? If you had you won't make such a daft suggestion.

--
Colin Rosenstiel- Hide quoted text -

Yes I have on many occasions, children are not exactly a new invention
are they?