Old December 20th 11, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_2_] Graham Harrison[_2_] is offline

Default Modern double deck trams

"allantracy" wrote in message

Suppose you put together a vehicle that was as long as a NET LRV but on
two
decks. The downstairs could have minimal seating but maximise space for
pushchairs, disabled access etc. Seating would be upstairs; best of both
worlds. Nothing to stop you MU ing 2 or more if you wanted to.

I think it's technically feasible.

I just don't think we can remain in denial of the fact that the
resurgence of tramways in the UK owes everything to the light rail
concept.

I seriously doubt any city is going to build a 100% street running
tramway network, ever again.

Indeed, why would they?

Why would they ever choose to ignore the considerable advantages
afforded by the capability to mix and match tramway and pure railway
technologies?

So, whatever is built has to be suitable for things like reusing old
or existing railway infrastructure (Manchester or Birmingham) and
maybe going underground (Newcastle) which kind of rules out anything
double decker.

We'll just have to find a route with no, or very high, overbridges and/or
all track on viaduct! If, that is, we're going to reuse old railway
infrastructure.

Oh well.