Old December 20th 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Modern double deck trams

On Dec 20, 7:10*pm, allantracy wrote:
Suppose you put together a vehicle that was as long as a NET LRV but on two
decks. * The downstairs could have minimal seating but maximise space for
pushchairs, disabled access etc. * Seating would be upstairs; best of both
worlds. * Nothing to stop you MU ing 2 or more if you wanted to.

I think it's technically feasible.

I just don't think we can remain in denial of the fact that the
resurgence of tramways in the UK owes everything to the light rail
concept.

Modern "light rail" is a direct development of old school tramways
(with a new name to make it sound cooler than old fashioned trams).

I seriously doubt any city is going to build a 100% street running
tramway network, ever again.

How many of the UK tramways still open in 1950 were still 100% street
running? Even then there was a fair amount of segregated track and
the odd section of tunnel (e.g. Kingsway).

Robin