Old December 22nd 11, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Ross[_3_] Ross[_3_] is offline

Default New boris bus breaks down

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:45:58 +0000 [UTC], Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\12\20 23:06, Ross wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:02:04 +0000 [UTC], Basil Jet wrote:
On 2011\12\20 18:02, John Williamson wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Which might mean that the (diesel) fuel gauge is also innacurate in
this early model.

Of course, if it's like the original Routemasters, the fuel gauge is a
piece of calibrated plywood which goes through the fuel filler.

Please explain.

I assume John is referring to a dipstick, which is also the way
Midland Red traditionally gauged fuel levels on its buses. There was
no fuel gauge dial/indicator in the cab itself.

stares at screen in shock

Not bus related, but you might be surprised to learn that on the UK
railways, diesel trains still don't have fuel gauges in the cab. They
are fitted - but on the fuel tanks, so you have to stop the train to
go and check them.

The theory is, of course, that trains won't run out of fuel in service
as the tanks hold more than enough fuel for a couple of days running.

In practice? You guess.
--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...