Old December 23rd 11, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New boris bus breaks down

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 22 December 2011 23:42:47 ...
In ,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote in message

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:48 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
lid (Paul Cummins) wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when
d ()
came up to me and whispered:

180hp is enough to power a double decker albeit slowly.

The original RT was 97bHp IIRC?

Don't know , but RTs were quite a few tons lighter than modern
bloated buses.

You're not kidding: I believe the RT and RM weighed less than 8
tonnes, whereas the Boris Bus weighs almost 18 tonnes. No wonder it
needs more engine power!

Whaaaaat! Even a bendy is only 16 tonnes and a standard double decker
around 12. RMs were 7 tons, 10 cwt, IIRC. RTs were about the same but i
can't remember of they were more or less. The only figures I can find in
my old ABCs is that a fully loaded Routemaster was 11.5 tons while a
loaded RT was 11.25.

According to Wikipedia, a New Bus for London weighs 11.8t, and a
Routemaster weighs 7.5t.

That's more reasonable. Perhaps the 18 tonnes was fully loaded. RMLs were
8.25 tons, by the way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel