Old December 27th 11, 10:24 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default bus partitions

On 27/12/2011 22:09, Bolwerk wrote:
On 12/27/2011 1:00 PM, wrote:
On Dec 27, 12:38 pm,
wrote:

I don't know about NYC, but in Phila, initially the driver could punch
a refund slip if a passenger overpaid. The slip could be cashed in at
the local bus garages. Obviously punching up a slip took time and
passengers arguing with the driver over change took time.

Could they not have also used it as partial fare payment?

No, they could only be redeemed.

At some point after the cutover, the fare refund slips were
discontinued. Apparently people accepted exact fare by that point and
were used to it. Also, SEPTA resumed selling token-packets at a
discount; and started selling passcards, so for regular riders, exact
fare wasn't an issue.

SEPTA, unlike NYC, accepts dollar bills on its buses. I don't know
why NYC's fareboxes aren't set up to handle that.

Because it's time consuming and a pain in the ass. Dropping change in is
easy and you can use dollar coins - though I suppose the downside to
dollar coins is about the only place I can readily find them is in
transit vending machines.

But I remember seeing electronic fareboxes in Westchester county that
took dollar notes, even those in bad shape. And the older fareboxes
certainly took them before they were replaced by the newer ones.