Old December 28th 11, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Pat O'Neill Pat O'Neill is offline

Default Metal Thefts Soar ...

"WZR" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:45:09 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:36:42 on
Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Bevan Price remarked:
I would suggest that the law needs to be changed so that cable thieves
can be charged with "sabotage

Perhaps. Or why not simply Criminal Damage?

& endangering safety of rail passengers", rather than theft, with
severe minimum penalties specified by law, such that some namby-pamby
do-gooder could not reduce to a token level of sentence. Dodgy scrap
dealers should also face similarly severe charges & penalties.

That's somewhat in conflict with the idea that signalling systems are
fail-safe.

Removing lumps of power cable tends to put signals out, and a row of black
signals isn't especially fail-safe.

Then there's the rather creative method of theft intended to avoid
detection
which was employed recently (for obvious reasons I will not go into
details). Suffice to say the use of that method on the wrong cables could
result in a decidely non fail-safe situation.
--
WZR

Yes that scares me what they are doing now.