Old December 28th 11, 05:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D1039 D1039 is offline

Default Metal Thefts Soar ...

On Dec 28, 5:01*pm, furnessvale wrote:
On Dec 28, 4:36*pm, Bevan Price wrote:

I would suggest that the law needs to be changed so that cable thieves
can be charged with "sabotage & endangering safety of rail passengers",
rather than theft, with severe minimum penalties specified by law, such
that some namby-pamby do-gooder could not reduce to a token level of
sentence. Dodgy scrap dealers should also face similarly severe charges
& penalties.

Bevan

No need for that. *Theft carries a maximum penalty of 7 years,
handling even more. *When did you see anyone, let alone these scroats,
get anywhere near these sorts of tariff.

As another poster said, the real beef is with the guidlines and the
dickhead who makes them.

George

That would be the maximum with several aggrevating factors, e.g. being
the ringleader, violence or threats of violence. Discounts are applied
for mitigating factors such as age, early guilty plea, genuine
remorse, helpfulness to the police etc.

Part of the sentence is usually paroled for good behaviour.

I'm generally in favour of this approach

Patrick