Old December 28th 11, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metal Thefts Soar ...

In article ,
(Charles Ellson) wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:10:07 +0000, Bevan Price
wrote:

On 28/12/2011 17:01, furnessvale wrote:
On Dec 28, 4:36 pm, Bevan wrote:

I would suggest that the law needs to be changed so that cable thieves
can be charged with "sabotage& endangering safety of rail
passengers", rather than theft, with severe minimum penalties
specified by law, such that some namby-pamby do-gooder could not
reduce to a token level of sentence. Dodgy scrap dealers should also
face similarly severe charges & penalties.

No need for that. Theft carries a maximum penalty of 7 years,
handling even more. When did you see anyone, let alone these scroats,
get anywhere near these sorts of tariff.

I think that plain "theft" is not severe enough. Something like wilful
sabotage deserves a lot more than 7 years to punish offenders and deter
others. More like 20 years minimum would be my suggestion.

"Section 33 Offences Against the Person Act 1861 - note the intent to
injure or endanger the safety of persons on railways must be present.
The offence carries, on conviction, [a maximum penalty of?**] life
imprisonment;"

[
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/r...port_offences/
]

(**AFAIAA murder is the only offence for which only a life sentence is
available.)

The same maximum penalty applies in Scotland for the Common Law
offence of culpable and reckless conduct.

(And before anyone suggests you get less for murder, I think murderers
should get 100 years without remission. )

They all get "life" but not necessarily/usually in the form of
lifelong incarceration. The circumstances vary greatly between cases
and locking people up for ever is seldom appropriate.

An important difference with life sentences is that a prisoner can be
recalled at any time and is never free from that threat.

The charge of endangering passengers on the railway is greatly under-used
IMHO. People like the lorry-driver who hit the barriers on Foxton level
crossing (on the A10) should undoubtedly be charged. He was well past the "I
didn't see the flashing lights" stage.

--
Colin Rosenstiel