Old December 28th 11, 11:03 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default coinage, was bus partitions

On 28/12/2011 23:39, Jim wrote:
In , hounslow3
@yahoo.co.uk says...

On 28/12/2011 19:07, Phil Kane wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:03:35 +0000, "
wrote:

They haven't used pre-decimal coins here since the early '70s.

In the 10 days that I spent in London in 1967 I had almost figured out
the British monetary system including the localisms, now mostly
forgotten. Do the kids growing up there recognize that at all?
--

A system that hasn't been in use in over 40 years? No.

Scottish banknotes have been at par for well over 40 years [originally
they were discounted at sixpence in the pound] but even now many smaller
shops don't accept them, probably because of unfamiliarity.

That comes as no surprise where certain establishments are involved.

In the past I have offered to exchange them when Green Line drivers on
Heathrow were refusing them from passengers.

On a trip earlier this year on the East Coast Main Line I was asked by a
trolley attendant if I would accept some change in Scottish notes.

I have received change in Northern Irish notes and in Scottish notes
here in London, though it is very rare for that to happen on a regular
basis. If I sometimes see a Scottish note in a till, then I will ask for
it as part of my change.