Old February 16th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joachim Harter Joachim Harter is offline

Default Talking Buses

Orienteer wrote:

A lot of Japanese buses do this, plus a display of the stop name. In Kyoto
routes which go to tourist spots also repeat in English.

Really?
I was in Kyoto about one year ago and, as far as I recall, English
announcements and displays were only on the subway. Inside the buses
only Kanji signs were displayed, and the drivers' calls were a bit hard
to understand. Was there a recent improvement, btw?

Over here in Germany, city buses displaying or announcing the next stop
have become quite common over the last few years, too, and it's working
quite well.
I suppose that getting out-of-sync problem will be resolved when
GPS-based telematic systems are introduced more widely.