Old December 30th 11, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default London Bus Fares Rising Fastest

"Robin" wrote in message
Also of interest is the statement at the end of the article saying
that 40% of people travelling on London Buses are doing so for free or
at a discount.

I wonder what effect this 40% has on bus fares for the remaining 60%?

When Ken introduced free bus travel for all children the cost was
estimated in 2005 at c.£m50 lost revenue. The numbers using the buses
around here for short journeys increased dramatically so I would expect
the long-run marginal cost to be much higher.

Oddly I could never find Ken's assessment of what free bus travel was
expected to do for levels of fitness and obesity among the capitals'
children.

ISTM that they are going to get far fitter walking to/from the bus stop for
their free ride on the bus than if they nag mum/dad to drive them the whole
way

tim