Old December 30th 11, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default London Bus Fares Rising Fastest

On 30/12/2011 13:27, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 20:00:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[snip]

CASH fares in other cities are considerably cheaper than London. For
example:-

Edinburgh - £1.30
Nottingham - £1.70
Glasgow - £1.80 (90p for short journeys)
Birmingham - £1.80 (£1.60 for short journeys)

I have to say "so what"? Barely 2% of London bus passengers pay cash
on the bus. People use Oyster because it is cheap and convenient and
there are thousands and thousands of Oyster cards held by people who
don't live in London and may only visit occasionally. It's just the
same as me having Smartcards for various cities across the world
because it gets me easy and cheap usage of the public transport
systems. If we are making a sensible comparison we cannot base it on
a premise that ignores 98% of users so nice try in changing the
argument to cash fares but it won't wash.

If we had a proper national bus smartcard which all operators accepted
then I'd happily have one of those in my pocket and I'd use it.

That's coming.