Old January 1st 12, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
Hans-Joachim Zierke[_3_] Hans-Joachim Zierke[_3_] is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could it??happen here...??

Clark F Morris schrieb:

Is the problem with the 425 series the seating (or seating
arrangement)?

Both.

Would it be feasible to change the seating during a
major overhaul and eliminate the problem? If the problems are
elsewhere, are they fixable during a major overhaul at reasonable
cost?

The seating could be changed, and this could make it a much better train.
Knee room would still not be sufficient, though, but there are more
examples for that, so it would be bad, but not exceptionally bad.
(Arrangement is unchangeable due to tech under the seats.)

As well, noise damping against the ear-piercing inverter frequencies at
some loadlevels should be technically possible.

BTW: The original concept for the 425 pointed to a superior train.
Then the beancounters came in and ruined it beyond repair.

Two adult males can't sit side by side. On the window side, the garbage
can gets pressed into your leg above the knee, on the other side, the
base of the armrest was sharpened towards the passenger's leg for maximum
torture effect...

Some days ago, I did my first really long ride in one of those
contraptions, Mainz-Karlsruhe, and it is outright horrible. We can only
pray, that DB looses all the contracts, which they run with 425s.

The competitors use mostly FLIRTs, which are paradise (in comparison).
The original Stadler seating is junk (though /much/ better than 425), but
with Grammer seats, as used in new Eurobahn units, they are comfortable
trains. Well, not as in "long distance comfort", but okay.

Hans-Joachim

--

Frieda Uffelmann * 15. August 1915 â€* 9. Dezember 2011

http://zierke.com/private/tante_frie...abgestellt.jpg