Old July 17th 03, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default the quest for safety

Steve Moore wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
news

So for example, by this fool's interpretation, someone
crossing at a junction where he has right of way, who is
hit by a driver who doesn't check the junction, is unable
to stop, etc, etc, would be responsible for his own
accident.

Yes, because anyone stupid enough to wander out into the
road without taking full cognisance of approaching traffic
- 'right of way' or
not - deserves to die for the good of the gene pool.

The alleged 'right of way' of pedestrians is, in the real
world, an irrelevance; cars are big and hard, pedestrians
are small and squashy... You can't argue technicalities
about "but I had the right of way" once you're dead. Stop
arsing around with theoretical arguments about 'right of
way' and just use the Green Cross Code/Kerb Drill to cross
the road safely.

Agreed, and unfortunately that attitude of "I'm bigger than you, keep out of
my way" is displayed by far too many car drivers. At one time I owned and
drove both a bike and a scruffy Bedford CF. When I was out on the bike I got
carved up, crowded and generally treated with no consideration whatsoever by
a great many car drivers. However when in this large scruffy van, all the
cars kept well clear.