Old January 5th 12, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Tfl Bus Service Changes During Olympic Games

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

In message , at 15:35:51 on Wed, 4
Jan 2012, Robin9 remarked:
You mention 100,000 people arriving in the course of a day. We have
been told that millions, not hundreds of thousands, will come to
London for the Olympics.

There are supposed to be 6.6m tickets available to the public, about
half of which are for football (which is typically outside London). So
maybe there are about 5m "London" tickets altogether if you add in the
ones for sports insiders and sponsors. Spread over approx 10 days
that's 500k/day. The main stadium holds 80k, and ExCel 40k. And
you've also got the officials, other staff, security, and not
forgetting the athletes.
(If anyone has better numbers, I'd be glad to receive them).

ps. For an idea of the pre-planning, traffic estimates etc for one
site, see:
http://www.london2012.com/excel/consultation-and-planning-application.html

Of course, there will also be many spectators at other events in the
main Olympics site at Stratford as there are a number of smaller arenas
(eg, aquatics, water polo, hockey, cycling, etc). Most will presumably
arrive by rail, typically at one or other of the two Stratford stations,
plus a smaller number from West Ham. I wonder if many people will have
tickets to two separate events on the same day?

I'm also guessing that the athletes and other sports insiders will make
little use of public transport when travelling to venues -- presumably
they have dedicated buses and cars (the infamous fleet of 4000 BMWs)?