Old January 6th 12, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Why isn't the 2009 stock walk through like the S stock?

wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:48:56 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
wrote in message

Was there a particularly good reason not to do it? I can't think of
any disadvantages.

It was discussed at length here, last year I think. Basically, there
isn't room in non-articulated small Tube stock. Future Tube stock
may be articulated, and would then have open gangways.

Not room for what? Instead of the carraige endwall there is a rubber
skirt (or whatever its called). I don't see the problem.

As I said, this was discussed in detail some time ago. Perhaps the
engineers involved have a better understanding of 3D geometry than you
do, and can see the problem. In case you still can't understand, look at
the width of the gangway in 378s or S stock, and subtract the difference
in carriage width between them and the 2009 stock to get an idea of how
wide the resulting open gangway would be in Tube stock. If you are a
LURS member, look at the photo on page 5 of the Jan 2012 issue of
Underground News to see what I mean.