Old January 6th 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.europe
The Real Doctor The Real Doctor is offline

Default Complete (almost) Shutdown of Berlin Train System - could ithappen here...??

On 06/01/12 19:23, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
The West German governement positively denied immigration to any number
of foreigners, and they may well have asked East Germany to help them
doing so. I'm not disputing it, I'm saying that's fine. But they never
locked any person into the country - convicted criminals excepted of
course -, or asked another government to do so. They positively never
asked the East German government to lock foreign asylum seakers into
the Eastern bloc, like they did with their own citizens.

What was West German policy towards those who escaped from the East?
Were they allowed to settle in the West as a matter of right?

Ian